Aria, reflection
While reading about the article Aria by Richard Roderiguez it made me realize some things that I took for granite growing up. As I am someone whose only language is English I had it extremely easy in the education system as I grew up. I never had to worry about translating from another language to have things make sense to me. The article makes me think about a friend of mine growing up named Joseph who moved here from Syria when he was in sixth grade. I had remembered meeting him in seventh grade and how he seemed to have problems with pronouncing certain words, and understanding a few terms every now and then, as he would often seem lost in thought. I realize now that could have been him thinking about what some words mean in Arabic, then thinking about the sentences in English. But that never seemed to stop him from working hard. He now goes to Brown university and had high honors his entire high school career. It was admirable now that I realize how much it could have taken him to do some simple equations when he first moved. The article does relate to me in the sense though that I have to worry about students in my classroom in the future who do not understand English, I do not fluently speak another language,so I do worry about how I am going to help them in learning. Maybe by printing out the assignments in another language, as well as switching it from their language to English so they learn.
Hyperlink:
https://www.educationcorner.com/k12-bilingual-education.html
No comments:
Post a Comment